October 23, 2013

Author Interview: Michelle Hodkin


YALLFest is just around the corner. This festival is held in Charleston, SC and celebrates all things YA and authors and readers and everything in between. Think good food, good conversation, and your favorite authors galore. It is a paradise.

You can click here to see what awesome authors will be there.

To help celebrate, Book ‘Em! will host author interviews with some of the authors that will make an appearance. Today, I am hosting author Michelle Hodkin. ***please excuse me while I faint for a moment***

Okay, I am back. Yes, Michelle Hodkin! If you have not introduced Mara Dyer into your life, this is the perfect time. It’s October, the month of the spine tingle. This is the perfect book to enhance that spine tingle feeling.

Describe your book in 5 words
Romeo and Juliet meets Hitchcock

What is the hardest line to write- the first or the last?
I spend a lot of time thinking about my first lines. A lot of time. Too much time. Luckily the last lines usually come to me as I write. 

What is your favorite genre to write in? To Read?
What I love about YA is that I don't have to choose a genre. I can blend elements and mess with conventions from all of them—horror, mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, whatever. I'm not sure I could choose a favorite, if I were ever told that I had to. And my reading is all over the place, but right now I'm reading a lot of old school sci-fi and fantasy, with some literary fiction thrown in. 

What one young adult novel do you wish you had when you were a teen? Why?
The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's not YA, but it is about a teenager who reminds me of my teen self. And maybe also my adult self. Anyway. I basically push the book into the hands of everyone I meet. It's just that good.

What are you working on now?
A secret project that is secret. But I'm wildly excited about it, and I think my readers will be too.

Umm…yes Michelle, “wildly excited” is the nice way to put it. I know fall just started, but I am already ready for June 2014 just so I can read the next installment of Mara Dyer’s story, ‘The Retribution of Mara Dyer.’

I am serious guys, you have to add the Mara Dyer series to your life. You will not be disappointed. I promise.

Look at these covers - LOVE them!

To learn more about Michelle Hodkin, her writing, and/or where you can catch her on tour, visit her website.

You can also find Hodkin all over social media: Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Pinterest.

Thank you to YALLFest for providing the interview.

Happy Reading!

-                      The Hodgenator

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you